The aim of the DigiPals is to foster collaboration both internally and externally; to bridge the gap between teachers, learners and technical teams. Working together to create learning opportunities in safe environments.
DigiPals act as change agents to develop new skills, gain confidence and trial new approaches to technology enhanced learning (TEL) amongst staff and students, with the overriding question:
‘What are the benefits to learners?’
The DigiPals arose from an identified need for teachers to enhance their practice in the use of digital media, it was envisaged that this would:
- Enhance the student experience and develop their digital skills;
- Develop the confidence and expertise of teachers, trainers and assessors to design effective technology enabled learning opportunities;
- Support teachers, trainers and assessors to work collaboratively with technical teams to deliver effective online learning;
The DigiPals act as change agents within the organisation to evoke a culture shift by working collaboratively with staff and students.
Whilst this alone can have a measurable impact on the outcomes for learners working collaboratively with partner institutions can amplify this effect. As such the DigiPals have also fostered a vision to develop outside links developing communities of practice where like minded groups can meet and drive forwards this change agenda.
To date the DigiPals have:
- Developed IT and TEL strategies with trainee teachers;
- Worked with more experienced colleagues via tailored CPD opportunities to implement TEL strategies in the classroom;
- Produced how to guides in a range of formats;
- Produced a series of ‘DigiKnow’ newsletters;
- Produced videos to increasing student engagement with TEL;
- Promoted the use of social media as a means increasing student engagement and enhancement.